Falconbrook Pumping Station
At our Falconbrook Pumping Station site, we are constructing an interception chamber, which will intercept the combined sewer overflow from the Pumping Station, and a 40m deep drop shaft which will transport the intercepted sewage to our new tunnel being built under the River Thames.
Our shaft is being constructed using two different methodologies. We are lining the initial 10.5m of our shaft’s depth with concrete segment rings which are installed using an underpinning method, where we dig down within the 9m internal diameter of the shaft before installing a segment ring around the shaft perimeter. Once we reach a depth of 10.5m with this technique, we will change to a sprayed concrete lining for the remaining 30m of primary lining of the shaft. This involves digging down 1m inside the shaft at a time, before spraying shotcrete onto the exposed ground face below the existing structure.
To construct our interception chamber, we installed 102 intersecting concrete piles and 14 grout columns deep into the ground, outlining the shape of the structure. We then cast a concrete capping beam on top of these piles to secure the top of the structure. We have started excavating our interception chamber which will be 18m deep once complete.
If you would like to receive works updates via email, please contact [email protected].
What are our working hours?
Standard working hours
08:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday
08:00 - 13:00 Saturday
Extended working hours
We are currently working extended working hours
24hrs on Monday - Friday
If you'd like to meet the team and ask any questions about the Tideway works at Falconbrook Pumping Station, come along to our next CLWG drop in session which will be held on Thursday 2 April at York Gardens Library. We'll be there from 18:30 - 20:00.
Our most recent CLWG drop-in meeting was held in September 2019.
If you have any queries in the meantime, please contact [email protected]
- Advanced tree planting in York Gardens ahead of the start of construction
- Access to the York Gardens Library and Community Centre and York Gardens Adventure Playground has been maintained
- No construction traffic access the site through the residential area from Lavender Road
- Construction traffic access the site via new entry and exit points off York Road
- Pedestrian access from York Road to York Gardens has been maintained
- All static machinery and plant is screened or enclosed
- Hoarding has been erected on the site boundaries
- The excavated material handling area is enclosed
There are lots of ways to find out what’s happening at this site, you can:
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams available to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected].