Blackfriars Bridge Foreshore
Following a pause to our works as part of our response to the COVID-19 outbreak, we have resumed some work at our Blackfriars Bridge Foreshore site. We have introduced several additional precautions so that our team can do this work safely.
In the western section of our cofferdam, a dry working area built into the river, we are constructing a 53m deep shaft which will transport the intercepted sewage overflows to our new tunnel, which is currently being built underneath the River Thames. We have excavated the shaft to 25m, where we have paused excavation as we wait for Ursula, our eastbound tunnel boring machine launched from our Kirtling Street site in Battersea, to pass directly underneath this area.
In the eastern section of our cofferdam, we have resumed construction of a 3,500 tonne culvert tunnel that will later be floated on the river to connect into the combined sewage outlet (CSO) directly beneath Blackfriars Bridge. Once complete, the culvert will intercept the sewage overflows from the CSO and redirect them towards our shaft.
All non-essential staff who can work from home are doing so.
If you have any questions about this or our site at Blackfriars Bridge Foreshore please get in touch with our helpdesk on 08000 30 80 80 or [email protected]
What are our working hours?
Standard Working Hours
08:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday
08:00 - 13:00 Saturday
There is a one hour mobilisation period before and after Standard Working Hours, plus maintenance periods on Saturday 1-5pm and Sundays 10am-4pm.
If you would like to discuss the works with our team, please contact us at [email protected] or call 08000 30 80 80
- All static machinery and plant is screened or enclosed
- The excavated material handling area has been enclosed
- Vehicle movements are strictly limited to set times and coordinated to ensure that no lorries queue outside of the site
- Footpath diversions are clearly signposted
- Hoarding has been erected on the site boundaries
- Wherever possible, push (silent) piling has been used during the construction of Millennium Pier
There are lots of ways to find out what’s happening at this site, you can:
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams available to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected].