Chelsea Embankment Foreshore
Following a pause to our works as part of our response to the COVID-19 outbreak, we have resumed some work at our Chelsea Embankment Foreshore site. We have introduced several additional precautions so that our team can do this work safely.
We are working across two sites, known as the ‘north’ and ‘south’ sites. On our south site, we are working within a cofferdam, a dry working area built into the river. We have constructed a 45m deep shaft within our cofferdam which will drop raw intercepted sewage to the depth of the new super sewer, before it is transported to the main tunnel below the River Thames through a connection tunnel. We are currently constructing the portal to begin digging this tunnel from the bottom of the shaft.
We are also constructing an interception chamber within the cofferdam, a structure that intercepts and combines sewage from the existing sewers at this location and transports it towards the shaft. So far we have excavated this rectangular structure to a depth of 16m below ground to create two levels, with a remaining 4m left to dig.
On our north site, we have been digging an overflow weir chamber to intercept the existing sewer deep below. We have excavated this chamber to 10.5m below ground. Once works are complete, this structure will connect to the interception chamber on the south site via a 170m-long connection culvert built from 18m below ground.
All non-essential staff who can work from home are doing so.
If you have any questions about this or our site at Chelsea Embankment Foreshore please get in touch with our helpdesk on 08000 30 80 80 or [email protected]
What are our working hours?
Standard Working Hours
08:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday
08:00 - 13:00 Saturday
There is a mobilisaiton period of up to one hour both before and after the working hours plus maintenance periods on Saturday 1-5pm and Sundays 10am-4pm.
Extended Working Hours
We are currently working 24hrs Monday to Friday and 08:00-13:00 on Saturdays
- All static machinery and plant is screened or enclosed
- Hoarding has been erected on the site boundaries
- Vehicle movements outside of standard hours is restricted
- Use of low level directional lighting
- The excavated material handling area is enclosed
- Two-way traffic flow along Chelsea Embankment has been maintained
- Public access to important events, such as Chelsea Flower Show and Masterpiece events, will be maintained
- Footpath diversions are clearly signposted
There are lots of ways to find out what’s happening at this site, you can:
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected].london
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams available to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected].