Chelsea Embankment Foreshore
At our Chelsea Embankment Foreshore site, we are working in two areas, known as the north site and the south site.
On the south site, located across the road from the Royal Hospital Chelsea, we are working in a cofferdam, a dry working area built out into the river. In this area, we are building an interception chamber, which will combine the intercepted sewage overflows from this location, and a drop shaft, which will transport the intercept sewage into our new tunnel being constructed underneath the River Thames.
To construct the interception chamber and the shaft, we installed concrete piles 17m deep into the ground around the perimeter of each structure, outlining their shape. We then cast concrete capping beams around the top of these piles to tie them together before we began excavating.
We have excavated our shaft down to 23m below ground. As we progress beyond the piles, we are lining the shaft primarily with sprayed concrete until we reach our final depth of 45m. Our interception chamber has been excavated to a depth of 8m. Once complete, the structure will be 16m below ground.
On our north site, we are constructing an overflow weir chamber, to intercept the overflow of sewage from the existing Victorian sewer in this area. We have installed metal sheet piles deep into the ground to shape this structure and begun to excavate the area within to allow us to expose and intercept the existing sewer. The weir chamber on the north site will later be connected to the interception chamber on the south site through an underground connection culvert.
If you would like to receive works updates via email, please contact [email protected]
What are our working hours?
Standard Working Hours
08:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday
08:00 - 13:00 Saturday
There is a mobilisaiton period of up to one hour both before and after the working hours plus maintenance periods on Saturday 1-5pm and Sundays 10am-4pm.
Extended Working Hours
We are currently working 24hrs Monday to Friday and 08:00-18:00 on Saturdays
If you would like to meet the team to discuss our progress, please contact us at [email protected]
Our last community drop-in session was held in May 2019.
- All static machinery and plant is screened or enclosed
- Hoarding has been erected on the site boundaries
- Vehicle movements outside of standard hours is restricted
- Use of low level directional lighting
- The excavated material handling area is enclosed
- Two-way traffic flow along Chelsea Embankment has been maintained
- Public access to important events, such as Chelsea Flower Show and Masterpiece events, will be maintained
- Footpath diversions are clearly signposted
There are lots of ways to find out what’s happening at this site, you can:
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams available to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected].