Heathwall Pumping Station
In early July, we will install monitoring equipment in the Cross Thames Link Tunnel before we begin tunnelling ourselves.
At Heathwall Pumping Station the team is working on sinking the two combined sewer overflow (CSO) shafts that will eventually capture the sewage that currently flows into the Thames on average every week.
Both shafts are being excavated in the same way. A cutting head is installed around the outline of the shaft, before large concrete rings are placed on top and pushed down approximately 1 meter using jacking gallows. The material within the shaft is then dug out, before the next ring is installed.
Our first shaft has been excavated using this method to 13m deep in land. At this point, the team removed the cutting head and grouted the rings in place. They will now excavate down before installing further rings below the existing structure. Once complete, this shaft will be 47m deep.
The team are preparing to dig their second shaft that is within the cofferdam on the river. Excavation has started on the ‘collar’ that will outline the shaft. Following this, the cutting head will be installed. This second shaft will be 17m deep once complete.
All muck from the second shaft will be removed by barge following the completion of our ‘campshed’ structure, taking around 50 vehicles off the road with each barge.
Our works at our Heathwall Pumping Station site are progressing well. We will soon begin works to replace the existing foundations of the ‘camp shed’ structure that serves as a mooring point for barges and boats.
What are our working hours?
Standard working hours are 8am to 6pm Monday-Friday and 8am-12pm Saturday. Also, there is a 1 hour mobilisation period before and after the Standard Working Hours, plus maintenance periods on Saturday 1-5pm and Sundays 10am-4pm.
There will be 24-hour working during the construction of the Heathwall/South West Storm Relief connection tunnel
Loading of barges and barge movements would take place within standard hours
The date for our next CLWG for this site will be on Thursday 5 September 2019, at our Kirtling Street site from 19:00 - 21:00.
Previous minutes are available upon request, please contact the Tideway Helpdesk on 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- All static machinery and plant is screened or enclosed
- Vehicle movements outside of standard hours are restricted
- Hoarding has been erected on the site boundaries
- Push (silent) piling is used wherever possible
There are lots of ways to find out what’s happening at this site, you can:
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams available to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected].