Heathwall Pumping Station
At our Heathwall Pumping Station site, we are digging two shafts to intercept the sewage overflows from the Pumping Station and the combined sewage outlet (CSO) and connect these to our new tunnel being constructed underneath the River Thames.
Both shafts are being constructed using the same method which consists of three phases. The first two phases of each shaft use concrete segment rings to line the structures. These were initially pushed into the ground using jacking gallows before the material within was excavated. Once excavation reached a certain depth on each shaft, we grouted these rings in place and changed to an underpinning method of lining the shaft, where the rings were installed below the existing structure. The third and final phase of lining the shaft was sprayed concrete lining, where we excavated down exposing the ground face before spraying shotcrete which set into the primary lining.
Our shaft to intercept the Pumping Station overflows has been dug within our cofferdam, a dry working area built out into the river. This shaft has been excavated to its final depth of 26m below ground and we have poured a 1.5m thick concrete base slab at the bottom of the shaft to form a concrete plug, providing the structure with stability. From this shaft base, we are now preparing to dig a 42m long tunnel which will connect to our second shaft, which is being constructed in-land.
Our second shaft is being constructed to intercept the CSO and has been excavated to 48m below ground. Once at the final depth of approximately 50m below ground, we will pour a 3m thick concrete base slab at the bottom of the shaft, which will secure this structure’s shape. Following completion, we will begin to dig a tunnel from the bottom of this shaft to connect into the main new tunnel currently being built deep below the River Thames.
If you would like to receive works updates via email, please contact [email protected].
What are our working hours?
Standard working hours
08:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday
08:00 - 13:00 Saturday
Extended working hours
We are currently working 24 hours, Monday - Friday
The next CLWG meeting for Kirtling Street and Heathwall Pumping Station will be held on Thursday 19 March from 19:00 - 21:00 at our Kirtling Street site offices.
Previous minutes are available upon request
If you have any questions about this site or the Project, please contact the Tideway Helpdesk anytime on 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- All static machinery and plant is screened or enclosed
- Vehicle movements outside of standard hours are restricted
- Hoarding has been erected on the site boundaries
- Push (silent) piling is used wherever possible
There are lots of ways to find out what’s happening at this site, you can:
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams available to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected].