Earl Pumping Station (Deptford)
Earl Pumping Station (Deptford)
We are Tideway – Reconnecting London with the River Thames
Tideway is building the Thames Tideway Tunnel. This is a 25km storage and transfer tunnel designed to tackle the problem of sewage overflow into London’s River Thames.
London’s 150-year-old sewage system is regularly operating beyond its capacity. This means millions of tonnes of raw untreated waste spills into the River every year at sites across London. Our project will tackle this problem, providing a cleaner and healthier river for Londoners. You can read more about how we’re delivering this project in your neighbourhood below:
Our site at Earl Pumping Station: Works completed so far
The site is part of an existing Thames Water Pumping Station that has been in use for many years and will remain operational throughout our works. So far we have completed the clearance of the site and preparing the site for the start of our main works.
Due to the nature of the site’s soil make up, Tideway is treating the land within the site compound, an essential task that must be completed prior to works beginning. This requires us to decontaminate the soil and prepare it for the creation of the connection shaft which will join the existing sewer system to the new tunnel. This work is ongoing and is scheduled to continue over the coming months.
Once soil treatments works are completed, we will begin the process of creating the connection shaft which will join the pumping station to the new connection tunnel which will run underneath the site. This will require us to build the walls of the shaft before excavation of the shaft can begin.
We are carrying out some utility works on Croft Street, which will require part of the street to remain closed to traffic. Read more in our information sheet.
We are currently carrying out preparation works for the construction of the shaft. You can read more in Ground Treatment Works information sheet
From mid October, we will begin constructing the diaphragm walls of the shaft. Read more in our Shaft Wall Construction information sheet
Want to know more or get involved?
There are lots of ways to find out what’s happening at this site, you can:
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Visit Tideway's Community Information Centre at Chambers Wharf open every Wednesday 2pm – 7pm, our team will be able to answer your questions and talk about the work.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams available to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected]. Meeting details will be emailed, published online and on site hoardings.
You can also sign up to receive information updates and newsletters via [email protected].
Tideway's River Times - East
The latest issue of Tideway's regular community newsletter, produced especially for our neighbours in the east section of the project.
Earl Pumping Station - Site Information
What are our working hours?
Standard working hours are 8am to 6pm Monday-Friday and 8am-1pm Saturday. Also, there is a 1 hour mobilisation period before and after the Standard Working Hours, plus maintenance periods on Saturday 1-5pm and Sundays 10am-4pm.
Extended working hours are required to allow major concrete pours for shaft construction.
How will we access the site?
An anticipated daily average of nine heavy goods vehicles will access the site. This will rise to approximately 34 heavy goods vehicles per day over an estimated four-month period during tunnelling.
Earl Pumping Station - Community Liaison Working Group
The next Community Liaison Working Group meeting was held in September 2018
Earl Pumping Station - How we will minimise disruption
- All static machinery and plant will be screened or enclosed
- The excavated material handling area will be enclosed
- Vehicle movements outside of standard hours will be restricted
- Hoarding will be erected on the site boundaries
- All concrete used at the site will be delivered premixed and no concrete batching will take place onsite
- A one-way transport system for all routine vehicles - entering the site from Plough Way, right turn into Yeoman St and right turn into the site; and exiting from Croft St, along Chiltern Grove and Yeoman St, then along Plough Way
- Footpath diversions will be clearly signposted
Earl Pumping Station - Important site documents
Submissions to the Council
These works will be undertaken with the same controls identified in the Development Consent Order and Code of Construction Practice. We will notify anyone living near the site in advance of any works taking place.
We are making a number of submissions to the London Borough of Lewisham as part of the consents we need to secure before starting different phases of work at the Earl Pumping Station site. These submissions are available to view on the London Borough of Lewisham's planning portal by searching for 'Thames Tideway Tunnel'. Please click here to be redirected. If you are interested on commenting on these submissions, please ensure you respond directly to the London Borough of Lewisham.