Isabel Lambert, Site Engineer at Victoria Embankment
Victoria Embankment Foreshore
At this site our teams need to create a space big enough to connect the old sewer overflows to the new tunnel, so we have been building some new land into the river. We recently completed the piling inside the cofferdam at Victoria Embankment. Piling is where we use thin, interlocking, metal sheets that we drive into the riverbed, one by one until the perimeter is sealed. The sealed structure is called a cofferdam.
This work has laid the foundations for the new river wall at this site where we will create new land in to the river to work from, and will also be the base for the new embankment, a new permanent area of land that will be created for public use following the completion of the project.
What are our working hours?
Standard working hours are 8am to 6pm Monday-Friday and 8am-1pm Saturday. Also, there is a 1 hour mobilisation period before and after the Standard Working Hours, plus maintenance periods on Saturday 1-5pm and Sundays 10am-4pm.
There will be 24-hour working during the construction of the connection tunnel.
Our next open drop-in session for our Victoria Embankment site will be held between 16:30-18:00 on Wednesday 1 May 2019 at The Hispaniola.
Our most recent Community Liaison Working Group (CLWG) was held on 4th October 2018.
- Two-way traffic flow along Victoria Embankment will be maintained at all times
- All static machinery and plant will be screened or enclosed
- The excavated material handling area will be enclosed
- Footpath diversions is clearly signposted
- Push (silent) piling is being used wherever possible
- Low level directional lighting
- A 2.4 metre noise barrier has been installed on the site boundary
- Work with the local authority and Transport for London to plan for major events such as New Year's Eve and the London Marathon
There are lots of ways to find out what’s happening at this site, you can:
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams available to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected].